logo 2 allwhite evenbiggest
Mount Vernon, Knox County, Ohio

MOUNT VERNON - Knox County Coroner Dr. Jennifer Ogle has identified the 56 year old woman who died in a duplex fire early Monday morning on Harrison Street. Shelly Hager died in the upper unit. 

Dr. Ogle says preliminary findings from the autopsy conducted earlier today reveal a death from carbon monoxide inhalation with soot in the airway. Soot in the airway reveals Ms. Hager was alive at the time of the fire.

No further information will be released by Dr. Ogle's office until the toxicology report is complete in approximately 6 to 8 weeks.

MVFD was called to the house by a neighbor at 5:16 a.m. MVFD was assisted by Fredericktown Community Fire District and Fredericktown EMS.  

Harrison street fire edited

Fire scene on Harrison Street Monday morning - KP Photo 

The structure had two apartments. The first floor unit was unoccupied. Firefighters were unable to to make entry to the second floor apartment because of fire in the stairwell. Once the flames were put out Ms. Hager was found in the kitchen. A second victim did manage to get out and made her way to an apartment building on Curtis Street, about a mile away from the fire scene. Chief Christopher said the woman who made it out is the daughter of the woman who died. Christopher did not release her name. Christopher says any further information will come from the Ohio State Fire Marshall's office.  

MVPD detectives were also on the scene. The woman who escaped was taken by EMS to Knox Community Hospital for treatment. When she was found she had minor burns and was covered in soot.

Christopher said there were no working fire detectors in the duplex.

 

 

Local Weather

First Knox logo 300 x 225

Classifieds